Medical / Healthcare
Insulation is the Remedy for Healthcare Facilities with IAQ Needs
The selection, installation and maintenance of insulation can have a dramatic impact on the long-term performance and cleanliness of a mechanical system in hospitals, medical facilities, and healthcare buildings. Armacell offers a comprehensive line of fiber-free, elastomeric foam solutions that safeguard the thermal efficiency of these systems without compromising the IAQ standards such facilities demand.
- AP ArmaFlex closed-cell foam insulation in tubes, sheets and rolls for pipe work and mechanical equipment.
- AP ArmaFlex, AP CoilFlex and AP SpiralFlex for lining and wrapping of ducts.
Better Moisture Control for Prevention of Bacterial Growth
Moisture absorption degrades thermal efficiency of insulation and promotes mold, mildew and bacteria growth. Armacell’s non-absorptive elastomeric foam insulation effectively keeps condensation from occurring on cold water and HVAC systems.
- Closed-cell foam structure prevents moisture from wicking; it can’t be compromised by surface punctures or tears
- No separate moisture-vapor barrier needed
- Better long-term thermal efficiency due to non-permeable materials which stay dry and therefore retains thermal integrity
- Made with Microban® antimicrobial protection to resist the growth of mold and mildew
Improved Energy Efficiency of HVAC Systems
For every 1% moisture gain in insulating material there is a 7.5% loss in thermal efficiency! When the vapor jacket of open-cell insulation is damaged, the insulation can reach saturation relatively quickly due to wicking, resulting in very high thermal K values. This equates to a loss in costly cooling BTU’s. That’s why AP ArmaFlex's closed-cell structure is so valuable to the efficiency of a cold system. It blocks moisture, therefore maintaining its thermal integrity.
Better IAQ for Patients and Personnel
Fiber-free ducts are fast becoming the norm in healthcare facilities. Unfortunately, most healthcare facilities do not have the maintenance staff necessary to keep their HVAC systems clean, therefore the best choice is an insulation that won’t trap dust and dirt. All Armacell foam insulation has a smooth, non-porous surface that resists dirt and dust, and also is easy to clean.
- Fiber-free AP ArmaFlex, AP CoilFlex and AP SpiralFlex are non-particulating, therefore the material will not break apart and become airborne
- Low VOCs – With AP ArmaFlex there is no off-gassing; GREENGUARD® Gold Certified to low emission standards
- Non-cellulous materials prevent fungal growth.
A Sound Investment
In addition, Armacell’s elastomeric foam insulation has excellent acoustical properties as a duct liner or wrap in HVAC systems. The foam can absorb noise from the system and dampen structure-borne vibrations from the ductwork, fans or motors. This ensures a quieter healthcare environment, especially where low-frequency noise is a potential problem.
What Experts Say About Keeping Duct Systems Healthy
While many argue the degree to which mold, dust and dirt in ductwork affects the health of building occupants, healthcare providers prefer to err on the side of a cleaner, fiber-free system. They are not alone in their support for drier, particle-free duct systems:
“Porous materials such as internal fibrous glass liner have been identified as a major source of fungal contamination.”
“…the very properties that make duct board and duct liner superior insulators (e.g. a fibrous structure with large surface area that creates insulating air pockets), also makes them capable of trapping and retaining moisture if they do get wet….”
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency